Thursday, January 29, 2009

No sleep

Some of my friends at work held a prayer chain for me on Thurs. It worked! Friday I was over my funk from the test results, and believe that a new direction is needed for my treatment. It somehow became crystal clear after hearing about the prayer chain. The discussion with the Dr. pointed out that we are no longer on the same page. There are other things to start trying. Don't laugh, but I just read Suzanne Somer's book "Breakthrough, 8 steps to Wellness". She does seem a bit out there sometimes, but it opened my eyes to all the possibilities in treating cancer beside chemo and radiation. I was so excited for a couple days that it was hard to sleep.

I remember saying to the Dr, that if the chemo was working, I wanted to stay on it until the cancer was gone. He responded that my body wouldn't be able to handle it for that long, it can't handle the toxicity levels that prolonged chemo would bring. He also said that in 6 months I would be glad of that. He was right. After another chemo treatment on Tues, I feel crappy. Not crappy enough that I can't move, but crappy enough. I can't get anyone at Mayo to admit that diet really makes a difference - not even the nutritionists. There is so much information out there and it all contradicts itself, no wonder people just follow the traditional path. Who has time to figure out what's right and what really works?? I just finally decided that I'll finish out the chemo (maybe) while researching my other options. I have never believed in drugs (for most of my own problems - there is certainly a place for them in medicine - although after surgery the Vicodin sure was nice :)) Why should I continue to compromise that belief now? There are other options to explore. Right after the crappy wears off.

5 comments:

Sue and Robert Stark said...

I 2nd that opinion! There's no 1 perfect answer...some things work in most people most of the time, but there are so many options.

My friend who has brain cancer is doing "traditional" and nutritional stuff...and maybe more non-traditional...it's been over 2 years & I forget all what she's doing.

Back in the late 1990's my roomie's dad did alot with shark oil (or something like that).

Another friend is going to someone who specializes in more Eastern meds....cleansing & stuff. Gee, I could get something for you over here. LOL. Actually, I probably could. I haven't been, but there are places where you can get stuff w/out a prescription.

Praying for you & glad you feel like you're finding a direction.

Love ya, Sue :)

viponds said...

You go girl! The best person to know how to take care of you is you. You are doing great. Keep looking for the unique answer and you will find something that helps you.

Cancer seems to be something that the doctors don't have all the answers. Nobody seems to have all the answers so take each day as it comes and do what feels right for you.

You are never far from my thoughts. Take care. We are praying for you!

Carolyn

LisaMarie said...

Elizabeth!?! You continue to be the amazing person I remember so well! The news came this morning through Nora. I've spent the past 30 minutes reading your blogs; sobbing but mostly LOL! Your spirit is so vibrant and obviously up for the fight. For whatever it's worth, my thoughts and prayers will include you for as long as you need.

If you are up for a visit, let me know and I will come see you. I have two daughters as well, Ella (6) and Ana (5).

Keep fighting, Elizabeth!

God Bless, Lisa Marie Pedrys (Hammond)

Nora Shaide said...

Hey Lady Liz! I only was informed last night that you had started a blog! Well, my thoughts are with you! You have the same sarcastic humor, with the most straight-forward speak, that I always enjoyed!! Lisa and I want to make a roadtrip so all of our girls can get together and listen to our tales of yore. Let me know when you are up to it!

Sue and Robert Stark said...

Just checking in...saying "Hi!"...thinking of you & praying for you.

Love, Sue :)