Friday, January 23, 2009

Scan day

It could be worse. We went down to Rochester yesterday for a PET scan (EARLY in the morning). The great news is that the tumors on my sternum and leg look good, there is not much, if any, cancer activity. The less than great news is that the tumors on my spine are still there and haven't reduced at all. The glass half full side of me will now tell you that at least they aren't any bigger. There are possibly two new tumors, one on my right arm, up by the shoulder and one in a lymph node on the right side in the pelvic region. They aren't showing up as very "hot", just a tiny bit of color which is why the Dr. is sceptical about whether they really are cancerous.

We then chatted about next steps and it sounds like I'll have another couple rounds of chemo and be put on the waiting list for a clinical trial. The Dr. will then look for the right drug to keep the cancer at bay and I'd probably be taking it for the rest of my life. WHOA horsey. I explained that my goal was to get rid of this thing and NOT be on these kind of drugs forever. HE explained that his goal is just to keep the cancer from spreading and to reduce it as much as possible, but his experience shows that it is unrealistic to have these type of tumors "go away". So we agreed to disagree on our goals. My goals remains unchanged. In case you haven't picked up on it, I don't like taking drugs, not even Tylenol or Ibuprofen. Taking chemo or any other toxic drug for the long term is NOT my idea of good living.

I am a little disappointed in the results as I had hoped for all the tumors to be receding. This means that I have to dig a little deeper, learn more and get better at practicing some of the things that I've been learning. It means it will take longer to reach my goals than I had hoped. I guess I haven't learned enough from the cancer yet, but it is giving me a chance to keep learning, for that I am grateful.

I passed on the chemo for the day. My counts are still low and since this sounds like a long term type of adventure, we'll go back next week for treatment. It gives me another good weekend :)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Liz,

I'm with you on the "glass half full" - always the optimist. I am very glad to hear that some progress is being made and very sorry to hear that it might be a lifetime commitment re: the drugs. But if it keeps you around until you're a little ol' lady, I'm all for it. The world would be a much darker place without your sunny spirit and sense of humor! Stay positive and I hope you have a great weekend "feeling good".

Noelle

Marne said...

Love you Lizard! Big hugs.

Tammi said...

Your glass certainly is half full. I love your honesty, strenth and will! Sometimes the best thing to do is agree to disagree!!

Sue and Robert Stark said...

Way to go, girl! You've got the attitude (in a good way!) to fight this awful cancer!

If it's not too personal, what kinds of things are you learning from dealing with cancer? It's amazing how the challenges &/or negative things in our lives can help us grow and learn or tear us to shreds. Sometimes, though, a good pity-party (for just a short bit) is exactly what is needed!). Hee, hee, hee.

Paul is telling his story...how God told him this: "My (God's)grace is sufficient for you, Liz, for My power is made perfect in your weakness." 2 Cor. 12:9

"The Lord's lovingkindness indeed never cease, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness. 'The Lord is my portion, says my soul. Therefore, I have hope in Him.' The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, to the person who seeks Him" Lamentations 3:22-23

Love ya,
Sue Boo :)

Karen said...

Drs do not know everything...they think they do but they do not. I see no reason why it should not just all go away. We have all heard of situations where this has happened and you have just the right attitude to make it come to pass.

Don't let them discourage you. Keep on Truckin !!!!!!

Nanc said...

Oh my little ERD!!
It's been awhile since I visited your blog--not that I don't think of you, which I do EVERYDAY!!I went back and read all your tales again-- you amaze me. Your wit shows through and I love it. I believe as you believe--anything is possible and therefore you just keep fighting. As far as the baldness goes.......well I could always stop over and paint a face on the back of your head (simple one with NO MAKE UP) and people wouldn't know if you were coming or goingj! Your mind is not mush- can't tell you what I will be going through myself if I had an interview for a job. I don't think "When's happy hour around here" is one question I should ask.Be strong my friend and I would love to see you when you are up for it! Miss you very much. I will let you be Zena Princess Warrier and teach you her yell. I am betting you will WIN the battle!!! love ya- hugs and kisses
Nanc

ec/jc said...

Dear Liz
Thanks for keeping us up to date. We're pulling for you! love from the gang out east.