Monday, January 5, 2009

Happy New Year

Did everyone have happy holidays? We did. The girls have been thoroughly spoiled, the house is still a mess and we had loads of time with family. The icing on the cake was NOT having chemo on the week of Christmas. You don't realize what a blessing that is until you have it the week of New Years Eve :)

Just to catch everyone up, I did have some issues with my leg and had to stop walking (for exercise) for awhile. It seems to be better so it's back to the daily walks. There was PMS inspired depression, but I'm heading into chemo inspired menopause so that's ok for short bits. I really don't see the downside of menopause. I'm done having kids - it's really a young persons sport - no more mood swings, no more being cranky for a week at a time, no more embarrassing trips to the store for Joe, no more cramps and bloating, its about 10 years ahead of schedule, but.....this is a good thing!!!

We had mommy and me days with the girls. Kate thought Underwater Adventures was boring, so I had to take her on a couple roller coaster rides at the mall to save the day. It worked because she asked when the next mommy and me day was going to be. Jenna and I went to the mall and had our manny and peddys. She got pink fingers and blue toenails. She had a huge smile on her face when we went in and asked when we could go back on the way out. Aunt Jeanne came down from Grand Forks and pretty much stayed with the kids all week. It was pretty much a life saver since I had chemo on Tues and by Thurs I was wiped out. Its easier when the kids are at school and home late in the afternoon, trying to keep up with two tornados all day after chemo is more of a challenge.

My counts are still low, but we're on for tomorrow's chemo. The Dr. talked about reducing the dosage based on my counts, so I called him a chicken. I'm SURE that will change his mind. It's only been two months since I've been on chemo, it feels like 12. The next scan is supposed to be around the 20th of this month. It will be on the same day as chemo for Round 4. After tomorrow I'll be 1/2 way through this treatment schedule, hurrah, hurrah!

FYI, today at target I got a coupon for $3 off John Frieda hair care products :) HA. Maybe they have a good scalp balm!

SUE BOO WHAT IS GOING ON??? Are you living in Hong Kong?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy New Year Liz!

Very sorry that I haven't blogged yet. I just read through all of your postings and have to tell you that I love your clever sense of humor and tenacious spirit (though, that shouldn't come as a surprise to any of us that know you!) I also never knew that you are a Scorpio (happy belated birthday).

Hmmm, Scorpios are very passionate about everything they do and can be incredibly stubborn (I am married to one). Those are qualities that have and will serve you well in this dreadful fight you have on your hands.

I just have to tell you that I admire your ability to "thumb your nose" at this disease and your willingness to share your journey with us so that we may send you all of our positive energy and thoughts. I will definitely keep reading and posting.

Happy New Year and blessings to you and your family!

Noelle

Liesl said...

Lizard! Sorry I have not yet posted, but I have been keeping up with you from all the way down here in Oklahoma. You are inspiring me in a whole new way...and your humor is so refreshing.

Know that I am (with tons of others) praying you through this and cheering you on. Remember, I still have to work for you again someday...wow, was that really 5 years ago? Hmmmm...your kiddos are getting too old :)

Keep up the great posts, and keep on keepin on. You are amazing.

Happy 2009!

christine9 said...

So good to hear from you Liz! I have been checking in almost daily! I am so glad that you had a nice Christmas, were feeling good, and got to spend lots of time with your family.
I'm sure that some days it's very easy to be down, but remember all the love and support that you have from everyone. Keep on knowing that you can and will do this.
Thanks for the update!

LizzieCook said...

Hello Liz: HAPPY BLESSED NEW YEAR! You are getting there Liz - the treatments sound like misery but if chemo is what we have to fight cancer - then be very happy that we have SOMETHING. I heard that your home was lit up better than any Christmas tree -lights everywhere. If you have photos, I'd love to see it. Stay calm and collected...2009 is a year you will celebrate with great success. Love you, LizzieCook

Tammi said...

It sounds like you had a great holiday with your family. Still thinking of you and praying for you everyday. Keep the positive attitude going. We all love to hear it!
Tammi

Karen Lev said...

I really, really, really when to go through menapause. But anywho, glad to hear you had a lovely holiday and am now wishing you a most fabulous January.

You are continually on my mind and in my heart. I so appreciate these updates and your sense of humor.