Monday, March 9, 2009

What's UP

Ahhh, my week off chemo. It's the week I can get things done! Now even the Navelbine makes me tired - not sick like the Carboplatin - but really tired. That means that I'm now out of commission two of the three weeks it takes to finish a round of chemo. However....One more round of chemo and then a break!!! It will be nice to have NO chemo for while, although that scares the crap out of me. At least the chemo is stopping any cancer progression (remember when I didn't know if I'd even finish the chemo schedule, HA, big talk for a scardy cat). My Dr wants to find a clinical trial for me, but that is a hit or miss thing. Hopefully we would find one that knocks down the tumors and keeps me kicking for a nice long time. No guarantees on finding the right one. He also mentioned that I have on average 4 months before the tumors start growing again after the chemotherapy has been completed. Yikes! Time to start taking the diet, supplements and lifestyle changes seriously in order to keep the cancer at bay. I've been kind of lax on the diet since I'm on chemo - probably not the right attitude to take - but still serious enough spend a fortune at Whole Foods!!

Joe has sent all my info and records to Sloan-Kettering in NY and we're waiting on a response from them to see if they would take a peek at me to see if there is anything they would do differently from Mayo. I finally called the nutritionists and am waiting on a call back before I pick one. I saw a new TT practitioner and can't believe what a difference it makes in my attitude. I go in questioning how am I supposed to get through this and come out believing I'm already recovering. Thank goodness Julie offered to give me some sessions, otherwise I never would have tried it, or given it a chance! Hope is the best gift!!!!!

5 comments:

artie lee anderson said...

Hello shocker! I found Mary on facebook and she sent me your blog site. Fun to see your face and Lisa O. on your site. I will do more research and find out the details of your cancer. Peace to you and may the force be with you. I will check up on you and follow your fight. Artie Lee Anderson fanofthebry@hotmail.com

Durand said...

Hi Liz - I just posted a comment, but I think that I lost it so I will try again. It is good to see your smiling face. Mary sent me a link to your blog and I just finished reading it. It brought me both sadness and joy to read your story. Sadness because you have to go through this, but Joy to see that you still have your sense of humor. Thank you for sharing your story with us and for giving us the privledge to see your mircle and full recovery. I will be following your fight and my prayers will be both with you and your family. All the Best. Todd

Unknown said...

Liz,

It's Wendy Freudenberg Carson. I found Mary on Facebook. She mentioned to Amy Petz to check out your blog...so I had to. I had no idea. Hang in there! Thinking of you!!!!

Wendy@wendycarson.com

Ms. Knit said...

Hey Liz! Another Sigma girl who found your blog through Mary on FB. Keep up the good fight and you'll be in my prayers. Mary (Valentine) Jetter

Jan said...

Hi Liz. I also found Mary on Facebook and saw the post w/ your blog. I hadn't heard.

I read the post about how the nurses have trouble hitting your veins. I don't know if you've tried this, but if not--drink something shortly before having your blood drawn. My youngest daughter has her blood tested a lot, and someone suggested that to me--it helps plump up the veins.

Keep your head up! I'll be praying for you. Janelle Burk ORourke
theorourkes4@yahoo.com