Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Still learning

Sue asked awhile ago what I've learned through this. I've been hesitant to put anything down, since I'm not sure what's going to work. BUT there are some things that are absolute:
1) When you have something in your eye, do not try and pull the upper eyelid over the lower one. I did this and removed about 5 eyelashes, the eyelid didn't go anywhere. This may work again after chemo, but not while my hair is falling out.
2) The tracks in my arms make me look like an addict. So far the lack of hair has kept anyone from arresting me.
3) You can't shield your kids from everything. Last night Jenna admitted someone told her that people with cancer die early, and she asked if I was going to die. When I told her I plan on living a very long time, she said "as long as grandma?". Sorry mom, but that did give me a little chuckle. Then, bless her little heart, she moved on to the next big topic; getting braces.
4) Nutrition matters. I feel better right after chemo if I'm eating salads and homemade soup, rather than junk food. I've also started taking a multi-vitamin, multi mineral tablet, a green tea supplement and a turmeric supplement daily. Cut out sugar, or as much as possible. You shouldn't be having dessert with every meal, bring it back to two meals a week. Do as I say on this, not as I do :)
5) Get some exercise. Duh, enough said.
6) Many of the things I've read have talked about reducing inflammation. I still don't know how to do this, other than cutting out dairy. There must me more to it, but I've missed it, or haven't understood. This one isn't really absolute, but thought I'd add it in anyway.
7) You have no idea how people will react, or even who will react. I am still amazed at the outpouring of support by both friends and family. One of the reasons cancer is such a crappy disease is because you feel so out of control. Dr.s will tell you that you can recieve chemo, radiation and surgery, but there isn't anything you can do to fight. Baloney. There is always something else to try, do, read, pray for, etc...

I'm still learing, still trying, still praying. Thank you to my friends and family doing the same.

7 comments:

christine9 said...

You are right Liz - there is always something more you can do, and if anyone will figure out what it is, you will. We all believe this and continue to pray for you and send well wishes your way. Take care!

Liesl said...

Lizard - I love, love, love your attitude and your ability to make us smile as we join you on this journey (even if I have to be praying for you all the way from here in Oklahoma...I'm so glad I can still be cheering you on!). Keep on keeping on...you are so inspiring and I miss seeing you everyday! Remember, I still plan to work for you again (if I can ever get out of Oklahoma...hehe).

Sending lots of love and hugs!
Liesl :)

Sue and Robert Stark said...

You're still making me laugh and cry, girl!

Dairy and inflammation related...hhhmmmm...didn't know that one.

I read your post yesterday and was so tired, so I didn't write...BUT, I've been praying day and night for you.

I can't remember which precious girl of yours asked about cancer (Kate??), but I love how kids can talk so deep and then move right on to another topic...ahhh...braces. wow. :)

Love, Prayers, and Hugs coming your way!

Sue Boo :)

Sue and Robert Stark said...

Oh, after I left your blog, I started laughing about the eyelids thing and the drug addict thing...and then I realized it was "Jenna".

I am so ready for bed and still have things to do....off I go.
Love ya,
Sue :)

Holly and Rhett said...

Well said! We all continue to pray for you daily. You are an inspiration to all of us! Don't miss out on any good desserts!

Holly

Sue and Robert Stark said...

I know I posted just a couple days ago....but I wanted to say "Hi!" and just let you know I'm praying for you and think about you!!!

Love,
Sue Boo :)

schugsters said...

Liz,


After looking at some pictures of myself, I could use a salad myself. Let me know if you want to join me for a salad at Bunnie's, Let me know and I'll get you directions.

Mike

Lori and Nick send there Love.