Friday, February 20, 2009

Chemo today

Today I'm a pincushion. They tried to get blood twice in one arm at the elbow, twice in the other arm at the elbow and then went for the hand. Perhaps a port would be a good idea. The second nurse (yes, it took two of them) said I had to go out the back door so no one would see the job they did on me.

We just got out of the Dr. office, Joe asked about prognosis, but the Dr. could only quote generalities. See Dr. Doom and Gloom below or google cancer of unknown primary for his response. Next time either Joe or the Dr. want to talk about it, I'm leaving the room. It can be hard to maintain the attitude that I'm going to beat this when faced with the statistics on the disease.

I had hoped this would be my last round of chemo for awhile, but it sounds like I'll have one more round after this one. The clinical trials that he signed me up for have a waiting list of a couple months - if I get approved for them. We also asked about a second opinion on treatment and he had no problem with us going to Sloan Kettering or MD Anderson. He was much less enthused about the IV Vitamin C treatments and ambivalent about the supplements.

I'm not really looking forward to chemo today. The girls are off school on Monday and that's the low point from treatment. I'm looking for playdates for the afternoon (Joe will stay home in the morning). Maybe if I just took some of the drugs they've given me I'd be able to play with them, but I'm not sure of the side effects at this point. What if I took one and zonked into the table for a 4 hour nap. Kate would love it, Jenna would go for the candy jar, then they MIGHT call dad, or China.

3 comments:

Marne said...

Lizard,
I am sorry you are not hearing the news you want. That has never got you down before so do not let it get the best of you now. They are only statistics. Thus there are several possibilities for interpretation and result. I am traveling for the next three weeks and cannot offer myself and Vincent as a play date. However, please keep putting your needs out on your blog, I will help when and how I can. I promise. I love ya Lizard. Give a hug to yourself, Joe and the girls.

LB said...

Hey there lady - I can't believe you are allowing yourself to listen to anyone but your own heart! Heck .... we went years NOT listening to Woodbury and we were just fine! (: You can and WILL beat this! Love ya lots!!

Tammi said...

Liz
I agree, stay strong in your attitude and you will beat this. If you want to know your future than you must create it.
Thinking of you and praying for you.
Tammi