Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Summers are grand!



Grand Canyon Nat'l Park


The trip out West was incredible, we managed to squeeze in everything I wanted to see! The Grand Canyon was, of course, awesome. The hike we chose was mostly in the shade, and I kept Kate on the inside of the trail while we went down (and up). We did not make it to the bottom and some day we're going to do that, but not this time.


The next day we went up to Page AZ, and took a smooth water raft trip down the Colorado toward the Grand Canyon. The raft went through Glen Canyon and was very pretty. Joe claims I got into a fight with the guides, but they wanted us to sit on the tubes of the raft and I was worried about the kids (ok Kate) falling into the 46 degree water. If it was a fight, I lost since we all ended up on the tubes. No one fell off and we all managed to survive getting into the water at one of the stops.



Glen Canyon


After the raft ride, we went to Monument Valley. Beautiful, but you can sure tell it's not a National Park. The NP's are run SOO well, with maps, hikes, roads, bathrooms etc.... so from there we went up to Moab to sleep so we could hike in Arches Nat'l Park the next day.

Arches Nat'l Park


From there we did another marathon drive over to the West Utah and stayed in Cedar City. From there we headed for Bryce Canyon and the next day was Zion Nat'l Park. Both were gorgeous, but I think I like Bryce a bit better since the formations (hoodoos) were more unusual.

The kids didn't fight (much) and we ended up in Las Vegas for the last two nights and stayed by the pool. We were at Mandalay Bay (my friend Keith works for MGM and got us a deal), but since we checked in late, we were upgraded to the Four Seasons. Since the Four Seasons didn't have queen beds, I wanted to go back to Mandalay, but they were booked up. Joe claims I'm the only one in the history of Vegas that wanted to get out of the Four Seasons. It worked out for the best, because we could use the Mandalay's pool but they couldn't use ours. So we would go over to the wave pool and lazy river at Mandalay, then come back for quiet time at our pool. The quiet pool also had all the perks, they brought around frozen melon balls, cleaned sunglasses, had ice cold pitchers of lemon water at the tables which they kept filling with ice, evian face spritzers (yes, they sprayed our faces with Evian water), cold face towels. It was sweet. And we were on the 36th floor so we had an incredible view. Awesome, awesome, awesome.

6 comments:

viponds said...

Wow...that sounds like a busy/fun trip and your pictures are great. I am so glad that you are doing well and were able to take this trip.
I love hearing how you are doing and hope to make it up north sometime to see you.

Take Care!

Holly and Rhett said...

Sounds like you had a great trip! You look fabulous!

Janet Arnold said...

What an awesome trip!!!!

Sounds like you had a great time with the family -

What trip is next?

Super Nova said...

Sounds like you had an incredible trip. Will you adopt me so I can go next time? :). It must have been great to end with such pampering around the pool. Thanks for sharing!

Angie Anthony said...

Love your pictures! You look awesome, Liz. Sounds like a great time. It was good to get all the pampering after all the hard work of hiking! :) I look forward to hearing about the next trip. Take care my friend~ Love, Ang

Sue and Robert Stark said...

Holy Guacamole!!! I've been off too long!!!!! I kept looking and looking & then was traveling the MidWest much of July.

I kept thinking of FBing Mary and emailing you (why are FB and blogs easier for me to write on than emails?!?!? Makes no sense. lol.

We've been praying for you!! So good to hear about the scans!!!!!!!!!!!!

And your trips....WOWZA FUN!!!!!!

Love & Prayers,
Sue Boo :)
xxxxxx