Tuesday, December 2, 2008

New drugs!

Mom told me to be less eventful today as we left the house and the Dr. told me to have a "boring day" after our consult. So far I am for once listening to my elders. We got two chemo drugs in without fireworks!!! Hurray for Team Solheid :). There was some confusion in the chemo ward when the nurses wanted to verify with the Dr. that the orders were right. The regimen he has chosen is not normal (but look who it's for). The two drugs, Carboplatin and Navelbine, are not usually given together and the dose of Carboplatin was unusually large. The nurses were ok with the explanation from the Dr. and went about poking me with needles and handing out prep drugs like candy. The really good news is that they shrunk the steroid dose in half. I HATE STEROIDS. After last Wednesday I had Roid rage and spent most of Friday mad at my circumstances, full of joint pain, swollen, and had a lot of pain in my scars. I had thought most of these effects were due to chemo, but after just getting steroids and benadryl last week, it seems that only half my side effects are from the chemo. Good to know. The side effects from this chemo are supposed to be low blood counts, nausea and fatigue. We'll see if I end up with the "normal" side effects. For once it might be nice to be normal - whatever that is.

Kate doesn't like my short cut, she thinks it looks weird and is even more sceptical of my going bald. Jenna keeps wanting to pull the hair out. Both are going to be a little more affected by my baldness than I had originally hoped. We'll have to go scarf shopping together, so they can be more a part of the whole thing. If you see me in a Hannah Montana scarf, or a bright pink scarf with big, beautiful butterflies make sure you let the girls know how cool it is :) I like Rana's idea of documenting a wig search. It would be really fun to try on red, blonde, or pink hair and the girls would get a kick out of that too. My hair isn't long for my head, so it may come up pretty quickly. Hopefully by then I can figure out how to post pictures with the text, or I'm calling someone to walk me through it!

Blessings, love and hugs,
Liz

8 comments:

Sue and Robert Stark said...

I like the new drugs, too!!! Yipee!

As usual, I was laughing out loud at your posts! I've missed a couple days b/c we were at my parents...who only have dial-up and will not get dsl. or charter....ugh! So, I'm happy to be back "on" and able to read your posts.


I would love to see a video of wig shopping....I just a rerun of "Sex & the City" (yes, trash tv) when Samatha went out in her hot pink wig...it could be you, Liz!

Love & Hugs,
Sue :)

Holly and Rhett said...

Glad to hear you did not have any major episodes this time! You would be the coolest mom on the block with the Hannah Montana scarf. We for sure need pictures. Let me know if you need help with the pictures, it is really easy!

Hoping and praying for you that the side effects are manageable!

Holly

lea said...

I was thinking about that Sex & the City episode too! I think a Lil Kim wig would look very fetching on you! HAHAHA How fun - you could get so creative with the holidays!
Take care!
P.S. I think including the girls in the scarf shopping, etc., is a good idea...

LizzieCook said...

Hello Liz: "Humor is a declaration of a woman's superiority over all that befalls her." - somebody said this only they used the word MAN (whatever). You are doing so good Liz, I can't believe the humor you are providing all of us who have never dealt with this particular foe. I am so happy the new drugs were easier to deal with (may this ease with chemo continue). Keep it strong Liz...keep the Faith...maintainn your trust in God to see you through. I'm wishing you, your husband, children & family a warm holiday season. Love you, LizzieCook.

LizzieCook said...

Hello Liz: "Humor is a declaration of a woman's superiority over all that befalls her." - somebody said this only they used the word MAN (whatever). You are doing so good Liz, I can't believe the humor you are providing all of us who have never dealt with this particular foe. I am so happy the new drugs were easier to deal with (may this ease with chemo continue). Keep it strong Liz...keep the Faith...maintainn your trust in God to see you through. I'm wishing you, your husband, children & family a warm holiday season. Love you, LizzieCook.

Karen Lev said...

You are one of those people who will look good short hair, bald, or with a Hannah Montana scarf (though I really am hoping you get a Harry Potter one - do they make them).

I read once about a man who was selling his scalp space on ebay. Basically he would advertise for any company on his head if the price is right (come on down BOB). Not that I am suggesting that you do something as radical as that, but it could be interesting.

Thinking of you every day

Karen

Frank Cristell said...

Hi Liz, I am a friend and co-worker of your Dad's and Uncle Phil.I have not had the pleasure of meeting you personally ....but I know you through your Dad and Uncle They love you very much.... Liz,my wife Laura is battling breast cancer ... she has been through mastectamy ..13 chemo treatments... 37 radiation treatments..... thank God she is doing very well.
Liz, from reading your posts you have the strengh and will to do very well also.
Please know that you are in our prayers and don't be afraid to lean on your loved ones...from what I can see you are truly loved by your family and many friends.

Love and best wishes,
Frank & Laura

Frank Cristell said...

Hi Liz,
Happy New Year!
I love reading your blog..... you are a terrific writer.....sounds like you had a wonderful Holiday and you are doing very well.
We are fridge here in east 9 degrees today..... I know that's a heat wave in Minnesota.....at least that's what Dad/Dave says.
Keep up the good work.

Love & Best wishes,
Frank & Laura