Wednesday, December 10, 2008

baldie

I couldn't take it anymore. The hair falling out was a mess and the receding hairline in front wasn't fooling anyone. It was time to take action and that action was a number 2 setting on the clippers. I thought I looked pretty fierce the first day and 1/2. Then we went down to Mayo yesterday for treatment (again no fireworks, we may be on to something!!) and I had them show me how to tie a scarf on my head. They had me look in a hand held mirror at the back of my head and I nearly dropped the mirror. There are two patches of near black hair on the sides in the back. While this might be prized on ferret pelts, its not so cool ON MY HEAD! The rest of my head is a nice mix of salt and pepper - mostly salt - these, these patches of pepper look completely ridiculous. It won't matter much, since I'll never look at them again and y'all will be subjected to them more than I will :). It will not stop me from walking around without a hat or scarf. Since I don't wear makeup, do you really think I'll bother with headgear - except for the cold weather? FYI* the girls both stared at me when they got home from school on Monday, they had never seen their mother looking like a ferret pelt. Joe said it didn't look awful, ah Mr. Sensitive.

Dr. Gu is helping with the nausea and he gave me two more bags of herbs to brew up. Pretty sure I saw eye of newt in one of the bags.....I still feel pretty good today and told that to the interpreter when asked how I was feeling. He came back with "it usually takes the chemo two or three days". Okay Mr. Rain on my parade. That's true but I usually feel crappy after chemo until the REALLY Crappy starts on Friday. Today really wasn't that bad.

I know that some people swear by chiropractors, and others...don't. Today I saw one that also does nutrition and I liked what she said about my diet and the foods that I should be eating. It was getting to the supplements that seemed a bit voodooish to me. She laid some vials on my stomach to see which ones my body reacted to. That must be some pretty strong stuff if it can get through the bottle, my thick sweater, the fat on the top of my tummy, down to my innards and still send a signal to her that they are needed. I'll keep an open mind and see how I feel and let Dr. Chemo know which supplements I'm taking.

4 comments:

Rana said...

Go chemo, go. In your case, hair loss is good news to me. I consider it evidence of effectiveness. My cold is done. I'd love to give you a ride anywhere you need to go, and I'd be happy to carry your stuff (grocery bags, newt eyes, whatever…). Every time I drive by your house, I will you strength and health. So, you’re getting a few huge doses of that everyday. Actually, I’m not the only one doing it – so, you’re really getting bombarded. (We also admire your pretty holiday light display). Hang in there! R.

ec/jc said...

Virginia came over last night & was able to catch up on all of your postings. We follow each one as you write them, grateful that you decided to do so. You have a lot of supportive readers! much love across the miles.

Marne said...

Hey Lizard! So I wore my pink Liz Solheid sweater yesterday. It is just one of those things you pull out when it is NEGATIVE four. I thought of you all day. I think you should have the chiropractor put dice on your stomach and then you should go buy a lot ticket with the numbers that appear. This chiropractic and acupuncture stuff you are doing is fascinating to me. I am happy you are finding some relief. If you have some nausea you can pass it my way. I would be more than happy to take some off your plate. Anything to help you feel better. Now the hair thing – so wish I had your bravery. I have never had great hair, but it covers up my ugly head with all the dents. I would be a scarf gall all day long. Miss and love you tons.

Nanc said...

Ah my Little Erd!
I have not fallen off the face of the earth. It's been awhile since I have been to your blog.You my friend are not forgotten- I think of you everyday. Hey, Glenn got a bunch of doo rags from Deborah at RFC, he never wore them but I am sure I can find some for you- he had many different ones. You can always top it off with a little cap! Well, what did the little magic bottles tell her? If she did that to me- all she's hear is god, she needs to loose weight!
Take care my friend- always in my thoughts, prayers and heart!