Monday, November 17, 2008

Warm Brownies

What a difference a day brings. That and a pan of warm brownies. Doug and Heidi brought over soup, bread and warm brownies yesterday and those brownies somehow turned the entire day around! One minute I was barely able to play my 113th game of Trouble with Kate and two brownies later I sewed on three buttons, patched a pair of jeans, finished a load of laundry and managed to hose off in the shower. It is marvelous to not have to worry about calories as you're downing your second brownie (did I mention they were warm?). There really isn't a way around losing weight while on chemo, all you're trying to do is survive and food becomes one more thing that you're supposed to do. This relationship to food is new, previously I've always enjoyed my food. Even during a stomach flu I was able to keep eating, and eating, and eating. But when you lose 5-10 pounds a week during the first round of chemo, it's time to take in some calories! Don't freak out, I'm not wasting away, but I'd rather my body spent it's time fighting cancer and chemo side effects instead of trying to turn muscle into energy.

The brownies also tasted marvellously good because I'd been trying to follow a no sugar, no flour diet. Several of the books out there state that sugar - when it spikes in the blood stream, is bad. It's what feeds cancer, and is bad for the population in general. I always thought that I'd end up a diabetic with my sweet tooth, but that was supposed to be MUCH later. Anyway, it is a huge challenge to change the diet at this point, and most of the time I don't have the energy to figure it out. This week should give me some time to get prepared for the next round of hell, hopefully I can make some progress. In the meantime, I agree that while we do eat too much sugar, every now and then a couple of warm brownies just might be what the Dr. ordered.

7 comments:

Paul Nelson said...

Hi Lizard!

Long time reader, first time comment leaver. Glad to hear you're feeling better. I agree, brownies rock. You are a talented little blog writer! It's also cool to read the comments from all the people that care so much about you--with all these well-wishes and prayers, you're gonna beat the heck out of cancer. You're in my prayers as well. Stay strong, I know you'll beat this. Maybe another lunch with the crew?

MELinMN said...

Buttons and patches? What a show-off! I can't remember the last time I sewed or patched anything.
My post on here apparently guilted Greven into returning my call. Hehe.
Wishing you more warm brownies and warm fuzzies!

viponds said...

Your blog is great!! I love the humor and I feel like I can keep up with how you are doing without being a bother. And....I am glad to hear that you had a couple brownies. Everyone deserves comfort food especially you with all you are going through.
Thinking about you and praying for you often. Take care!

Karen Lev said...

A little indulgence now and then is not a bad thing. It perks us up and makes us smile, and helps us do those domestic things (that I cannot get around to...well, I could, but ick...safety pins work).

Linda S said...

Liz,
We're praying for you every day. Thanks for the blog. I'm so sorry to hear about the side effects of chemo. I wonder if pumpkin bread with flaxseed would taste good to you? I'll give it a try. I hope you have a good day today. Love, Linda, Chuck, Meghan & Jon

Cronins said...

Yay! A regular Thanksgiving with the family! Cranberries taste really crappy without sugar.

LizzieCook said...

Warm hellos Liz. Your comments on brownies was such a good one. I could relate as I have great respect for you and great respect for warm brownies (smile). I'm having a time of it thinking of you w/ cancer - I guess I don't want to believe it. Reading your honest words brings it home...it's real! I have faith in your strength Liz, faith in your ability to stand tall and give it your best. I know you will try. Those warm brownies made you feel like "I can take another day". WONDERFUL! Love you and praying for you deeply. Sincerely, Betty